Sydney Bhajan Mandali's objective is to foster local (viz. based in Sydney) talent in Devotional Musical Singing (Bhajans) on a periodic basis through the organisation of concerts. The concerts may be augmented by other forms of multimedia presentations and workshops. The main objectives of SBM are listed below.
- Preserve the knowledge and skills of traditional Bhajans (group devotional singing) and successfully transferring to young generation through the principles of Sathya (Truth), Dharma (Right Conduct), Prema (Love), Shanthi (Peace) and Ahimsa (Non-Violence), thus encouraging the development of love for God or oneself or self-realisation or unconditional love for all.
- Promote and encourage spiritual blossoming of human excellence in individuals, irrespective of religion, colour or creed by facilitating group prayers and spiritual discourses.
- Contribute to a greater understanding of inner peace within individuals so as to arrest the imbalance of values in life and to achieve unity and peace in the community. Encourage individuals to be aware of the Divinity that is inherent in everyone and to conduct oneself accordingly in a socially and spiritually responsible manner.
- To fulfil one’s life with joy, harmony, beauty, grace, human excellence and lasting happiness through bhajans and spiritual/musical discourses (Harikatha – Stories of Lord), composite art form composed of story-telling, poetry, music, drama, dance, and philosophy.
- As a non-profit oriented Association, actively participate in various community services and community development programmes thus contributing to the overall social and cultural development.